Health Assessment

Hello and welcome back to my blog,

For this term we’ve been learning a new topic of Death, Dying and Afterlife for this unit. This topic consists of learning how a person dies, how the body reacts when they’re close to dying and how you cope with loss. We did a lot of activities too, one time we had to do a presentation about the 5 stages of grief. The 5 stages of grief have 5 different emotions and each person can experience it at different times. Those 5 emotions are Denial, Anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

In one week, we had to also make another presentation about the different events that took many lives like the black death, Spanish flu or the Victoria era.

We were also lucky enough to watch a popular movie called Coco. In the movie we learned the difference between other people’s cultures and beliefs of the after life. In this instance, the movie’s beliefs of the after life is that if a family remembers you, you get to live in the after life. We did 1-3 tasks about coco and moved on into a different topic of death, dying and afterlife. The topic was about how different cultures cope with loss of their love ones and how do those cultures have a proper burial.

Now we’re the last topic of this unit which is an assessment that is associated with death or coping with loss.

________________________________________________________________________________

My Chosen topic for this assessment is about the top 30 deadliest diseases. The disease that I picked is the deadliest disease which is the Mad Cow Disease. The reason that I picked this topic is that I want to find out how a disease can kill a human and what’s the process behind it too.

I found a lot of interesting information about this topic like for example Mad Cows Disease has a 100% mortality rate which means that you’re going to die in a few months or even years. I learned  Humans have a rare chance of getting this disease because you can only get this disease when you eat unsanitary meat. Mad cows disease has another name too called creutzfeldt–jakob disease because the disease focuses on your brain. The disease makes your brain tissue corrupt and over time, by then it starts to destroy your brain and spinal cord.

When the disease starts weakening your spinal cord, you have a hard time of walking and you can’t stand up straight because you just lose your balance due to the lack of control of your limbs. Spinal and brain damage is not the only thing that disease is capable of. It also makes you dizzy and having vision loss, by then they might have muscle spasms which makes their muscles move uncontrollably.

Victims might even get into a coma due to this disease due to the fact that disease makes changes into the vital parts of your brain. Mad Cow Disease has the ability of changing a person’s personality and making them hallucinate which makes their criticality insane.

Unfortunately all of the victims that have this disease would die in 1-2 years and there’s no cure and survivors of this disease. Currently about 350 people are reported to get mad cow disease in The United States Of America.

_________________________________________________________________________________

How did you demonstrate respect towards others ( In class)

I showed a number of ways to show respect to my teachers and students in class. I’m silent when my teacher is trying to speak or showing us a new topic of our work. Our teacher showed her own experience of coping with death and I was very respectful to her because it shows that i’m paying attention that she’s saying something that is personal to her. I complete work every-time in this class and I have a tendency to catch up in all of my classes so I’m not behind on anything.

I was respectful to other cultures when we were learning about the different cultures beliefs of death and different traditions. I don’t mock or ridicule someone’s culture because it’s very disrespectful and it discriminates against other minorities.

Hauroa :

Taha Tinana : Physical

I showed taha tinana in this class by being nice and kind to everyone. I was helping people who need a little help or support for their work and I make instructions more clear to them so they can have a better understanding. I always complete work that has given to me and I try my best to do work at home so I can be more up to date for this class.

Taha Whanau  : Family/ Friends.

I’m always helping my friends and I respect their time when we’re having conversation or doing work. I manage their time too by having a conversation at the right time. If we’re doing work I will try to avoid having a long conversation and instead focus on the work.

Taha Hinengaro : Mental & Emotional

I showed respect and comfort to my friends when they’re having a bad day and I try to make this class more fun and enjoyable. I liked this class a lot because we did a lot of interesting topics and I had little knowledge of it. I never showed any anger or sadness to this class and i’m always calm and peaceful in this class.

Taha Wairua : Spiritual

Showing my true emotions and colours in this class has always been helpful to my friends or other classmates. I showed confidence when I was sharing my knowledge to my friends too.

How did you demonstrate respect towards others (Outside of school)

For my culture we would do nice gestures to everyone, even strangers. For example we would give extra food to other guests in a house warming, we even give some to other neighbours. If we’re having a conversation, we’re very respectful of your statements and opinions towards our conversations. We can communicate with other people more because most Filipinos can speak English very well.  Most of us can control our anger and use it at the right place and time to use it. If we’re showing respect to someone who has the same cultures as us, we would use simple phrases  to be more mannered and respectful.

If we have older people that have a 4-5 age gap between our own age, we would call them “kuya” or “ate”. It means brother and sister and we would use it everytime when we are trying to get their attention. Even though we’re not brothers or sisters by blood, we would still use it for showing respect to people who are older than us. If they’re the age of an adult or have their own family, we would call them “Tito” or “Tita”. It means uncle or auntie and even though they’re not aunties or uncles, we would still use those phrases to show our sign of respect.

Taha Tinana : Physical

We would show respect by doing ” mano po” for our culture. It’s basically getting an older person’s hand and using the back of the hand to touch our forehead. This shows our respect for our elderly. The person who is putting their hand on the person’s fore head, might say some stuff like “May god bless you” or “May god have mercy on you”

Taha Whanau  : Family/ Friends.

If we’re showing respect for our family, we would help them in any situation like cleaning the house, helping our dads in the backyard. We would also sometimes cook for them because we want our clean house and food for our parents because they’re working hard to support our family.

Taha Hinengaro : Mental & Emotional

We show respect on this side for Te Whare Tapa Wha by just being respectful and kind to people. We would not try to swear in front of family because it would be very disrespectful for the elderly and would embarrass us by showing that we don’t have self- control.

Taha Wairua : Spiritual

For this side of hauroa, we show our respect by being a Catholic or Christian in our culture. We show respect for our religion by going to church every Sunday and reading the bible. We will always pray every-time when we’re about to eat, every night and every day. The bible guides us to know how to live while praising the lord.

Why is it important that you take care of all areas of hauora when we experience change, loss, or grief?

It is very important to take care of the four walls of hauroa when you’re experiencing a loss to someone that was close to you. It’s very important to take care of your physical and mental health because they are the reason you’re alive and can experience emotions. If we don’t take care of the 4 walls of hauora, it would be very terrible to the person who’s experiencing this because their life would be very unbalanced and it’s very hard to heal and dealing with the pain. The haorua guides us how to live life at a steady rate and find how to balance with the negative stuff.

The four walls of hauroa and their meanings. :

Taha Wairua is your beliefs and your religion like christianity, catholic, buddhism and other religions. But it is not only your beliefs and religion, it’s also about you. Your identity, your confidence and things that make you.

Taha Tinana is your physical wellbeing, like eating well and getting the right amount of sleep, drinking a lot of water and staying fit. Your physical wellbeing is what you are treating our body with.

Taha Hinengaro is your mental and emotional wellbeing. This wall is very important because it helps to make the right choices and the way you think and act. The requirements to make this wall very strong is to have the right mindset and always think positive. 

Taha Whanau is your family and your social wellbeing. Is not always your family, it’s your relationships like your friends. It’s also important because it is all about your family and your friends. It’s like always taking care of them and helping them. 

If one of the walls is very weak, for example your physician’s well being is not very good because you didn’t get a good night’s sleep. One of your walls is going to crumble if that happens the entire house crumbles down. 

One thought on “Health Assessment

1. Kia ora Renz!

Wow! What an awesome blog you have created! It is wonderful to see your engagement in this topic and the effort you have placed on completing this work. Thankyou soo much for this!

I hope you enjoyed this unit and will enjoy the unit ahead

Nga Mihi

Miss Bennett